Careers & Moving On
Oriel High School has achieved and been successfully reassessed for the ‘Investor in Careers’ award. This is a kite-mark for quality in careers education guidance (CEG). This is the most widely used standard of its type in England.
The use of independent external assessors/panel helps give the award credence.
Gaining the award was a tremendous achievement and enables our Careers guidance to link with our Student Voice. Supports students in key stage 4 and 5 as they progress through the school into employment or higher education. It also supports our own self evaluation of our careers guidance programme.
Entitlement to Careers Education and Impartial Advice and Guidance
We encourage our students to reflect upon their personal skills and ambitions and through the curriculum ensure that they:
- understand themselves
- think about what they expect of themselves and what others expect of them
- develop confidence in themselves and their abilities
- investigate ways to develop as a person
- understand how the world of work is changing
- earn how to plan ahead
- know who is there to help them in school
- identify and set short and medium term life goals
- use debate, review, reflection and action planning to progress
- explain why it is important to develop personal values
- describe employment trends
- identify, select and use a wide range of information resources
- use work related learning/experiences to shape their career progression
- understand the options open to them once they leave school
- take finance into consideration when making decisions
- understand the purpose of careers interviews
- understand what employers are looking for in relation to behaviour at work
Our Careers Library offers our students careers information, advice and assistance on careers, Year 9 options, work placements/experience, compiling CVs and personal statements and support when making applications to College and University.
For further information about careers, please e-mail:
Useful web links
Careers Researchhttps://nationalcareersservice.direct.gov.uk/Pages/Home.aspx http://www.allaboutschoolleavers.co.uk/ http://www.ucas.com/progress# http://icould.com/ https://www.plotr.co.uk/ http://www.careersbox.co.uk/ http://www.horsesmouth.co.uk/ http://www.futuremorph.org/
http://www.careerswales.com/en/ http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/ www.studently.com http://neuvoo.co.uk/
Apprenticeship Weekly Vacancy List: